Thursday, February 20, 2014

Lobster Mac 'n Cheese

Some people think that an expensive ingredient like lobster is wasted on unremarkable mac 'n cheese (ahem. Georgie).

I am not one of those people.
Enhanced comfort food is my favorite. I believe good ingredients can take a dish to the next level. This was my fav out of our V-day meal (hubby's was the this one), I loved it. But yes, the expensive lobster could be subbed out for a lot of equally delicious cheaper options.

FYI on the Gruyere cheese I bought:
At the commissary it cost a whopping $9.50.
At Walmart there were two types: an apple smoked one for about $3.50 and a standard one for $7. I had trouble choosing because I was afraid the apple smoked one wasn't "real" Gruyere (it was made in Wisconsin) lol. But then I decided there's probably no difference...and I was right. Went for the $3.50 one and it was great.

Rating: 9.5/10
Why: I didn't expect to like it as much as I did. I was afraid that the smoked flavor of the cheese I bought would come out too strong. But no, it worked perfectly and was so delish.



Lobster Mac 'n Cheese
Serves 4-6 
Adapted from my beloved Ina

  • 1/2 lb elbow macaroni
  • 2 c milk
  • 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, divided
  • 1/4 c flour
  • 6 oz Gruyere cheese (2 cups)
  • 4 oz sharp cheddar cheese (1 cup)
  • 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 Tbsp kosher salt
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 3/4 lb lobster meat, chopped into large bite-size pieces
  • 3/4 c panko bread crumbs


Directions:

Preheat oven to 400F.

Cook pasta in a large pot according to directions. Drain and toss with a bit of olive oil to keep it from clumping.

Heat milk in a small saucepan, being careful not to let it boil.
In your large pot over low heat, melt 3 Tbsp of butter and add the flour. Whisk for 2 minutes. Add the heated milk and continue whisking for ac few more minutes until it is thickened and smooth.

Remove from heat and stir in both cheeses, and the salt, pepper and nutmeg. Mix in the macaroni and lobster. Place into your dishes. (Mine filled about 4 mini pie pans.)

Melt the remaining butter and mix it with your panko crumbs. Sprinkle evenly over each dish and cook for 30-40 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly. Mine were more golden brown than they look in the pictures.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

© Korean Mutt, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena